Inappropriate Guidelines for Unacceptable Behaviour
Update: thanks to some nudging by Laura, you can now find the PDF for this here.
Last year, Laura Hilliger shared with me something created by Dancing Fox, that I can no longer find online — not even on the Wayback Machine. Entitled Inappropriate Guidelines for Unacceptable Behaviour, it’s a hugely uplifting manifesto for life and work.
As you can see from the above photo, it was released under a CC BY-NC-SA license, so I’m reproducing it below.
- Whatever you do, make it awesome. If it’s not awesome, crumple it up. Start again. Your best work should scare you.
- Inspire courage by being courageous.
- Be remarkable. To be remarkable, you have to create things and behave in ways that will be remarked upon. This seldom happens in your comfort zone. It’s seldom done by repeating yourself.
- Be human or be ignored. You’re not a cog. This is not a machine. Don’t try to sound grown up, or professional, or respectable. You’re out to change the world. Be passionae. Wild. Crazy. Disruptive.
- Stand for something bigger.
- Ask of every transaction, how can I make this kinder?
- Challenge conformity. Challenge authority. True leadership will empower you to break the rules.
- Speak the truth. Even when your voice shakes.
- Prove, every day, that a better world is possible. That you can’t sink a rainbow.
- When in despair, remember two things: Big ships turn slowly. And big change always looks impossible when you start, and inevitable when you finish.